Codiaeum Variegatum Gold Dust commonly known as Gold Dust Croton is an evergreen subtropical plant.
Gold Dust Croton is a natural blooming plant. Although this plant can be cultivated outside of its natural environment, it is best grown as a houseplant inside a brightly lit area.
These shrubs are grown for their decorative leaves with vibrant green foliage with deep yellow to golden speckles that change during the seasons.
When planted in full sun, the leaves take on an even deeper shade of green, especially in the winter months. Their form is upright and compact, growing up to 2 feet tall. Stems are covered with fine, silvery hair and the leaves are evergreen in mild climates.
To ensure proper care, recreating the subtropical environment in your home will be essential for a happy and healthy houseplant.
- Placement: Place your Croton in a room next to a bright, sunny window. Rotate the plant occasionally to encourage even growth. The Croton does not like to be moved so it’s best to avoid moving the plant as much as possible to avoid leaf loss.
- Watering Needs: The soil of your Croton should never stay dry for an extended period of time, but you should let the soil dry between waterings. Water when the top inch of soil has dried out. When watering, water the plant moderately and slowly from above, allowing water to soak through to the roots, then tip out any excess water. Reduce watering during the cold season. Mist the leaves to promote shiny foliage.
- Temperature Preferences: Does well at room temperature between 60°F – 77°F. Keep the plant away from drafts and avoid cold temperatures.
- Humidity Tolerance: Does well at normal (about 40% – 60%) humidity levels.
Unhealthy Plant Signs: Twisted or browning leaves may be a sign of underwatering. If the leaves start to droop, check the soil and water. If your Croton’s colors fade, it is a sign of lack of sunlight.
- Toxicity: The sap of this plant may cause irritation to the skin.
- Light Requirements: The Croton needs medium to bright direct sunlight.
You will also love Arabica Coffee.